Tuesday, December 8, 2009

cheese from powdered milk

I try and test out any new to me recipes I come across before posting them for the world. I enjoy good food and wouldn't want to recommend something I found gross to others. For a change I am going to bend my own rules. I can do that, however, I must make a confession.

I completely screwed the recipe up but being me decided to try the recipe any way and see how it came out. I some how managed to not see that the recipe called for buttermilk. So i made it how I would normally make it but instead of the amount of water called for in the recipe I added a cup of extra water. The rest of the recipe I followed exactly.

When the rubber, er I mean cheese was done, rinsed, drained, set to mold for a spell and then tested for taste, it reminded me of eating a rubber cement ball back in elementary school. Don't look at me like that I know we have all done it.

I then decided perhaps my cheese type rubber product would shred or slice so I grated it up to dry and we will see how bad it truly is this evening with the enchiladas we are having for dinner. I have got to say that while my end product was pretty horrible, it did resemble something like string cheese while it was still warm, so it wasnt all together horrible. It squeaks like fresh cheese curd too.

I do not know what the recipe would actually turn out like if made proper. I would like to imagine it would turn out well but after my FAIL I doubt I will try this again. The first reason is if you are having to use powder milk to make cheese , why on earth would you have buttermilk to use but no real milk. Secondly, the recipe makes very little cheese and lastly it is not very economical to make. For what it takes to make a couple cups of cheese a person could raise a goat or two for a week.This simply makes no sense to me. Alas, I will still post the recipe since I have been asked if one could make cheese from powdered milk. My own answer to that would be no, but you can make good for you edible bouncy balls for children with it. Maybe I can dye them pretty colors and market them in gumball machines.


cheese

2 cups boiling water

1-1/2 cups dry milk powder

3 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 cup buttermilk

3-4 Tbsps lemon juice

Blend water, milk and oil, allowing foam to settle slightly. If colored cheese is desired, add 1/2 tablet cheese coloring (or cake decorating paste color) while blending. Pour into hot saucepan coated with a nonstick spray and heat to at least 160 degrees. Add lemon juice and continue to stir until mix curdles.

Pour into a cheesecloth lined colander. Rinse curds with warm water, then salt to taste. Place cheese in cloth between two plates or spoon into a cheese press. Apply weight and let sit for 1/2 hour or longer, depending on how firm you want the cheese to be. Remove from plates or cheese press,rinse, wrap in plastic and refrigerate. Use within one month or freeze. This cheese can be sliced, grated, or crumbled. For Smoky Cheese, add 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke flavoring and 1/2 - 1 tsp. salt after rinsing curds.

If you try that recipe and really enjoy it why not make some cottage cheese. OH WOW, I just realized I made the "cottage cheese"... NONONO this is not a good recipe for cottage cheese but here it is as well.. ENJOY!
cottage cheese

Soft Cottage Cheese

2 c hot water

1 1/2 c dry milk powder

3 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice or white vinegar

Blend water and dry milk and pour into saucepan (foam and all). Sprinkle lemon juice or vinegar slowly around edges and gently stir over medium heat just until milk begins to curdle. separating into curds and whey. Remove from heat and let rest one minute. Pour into strainer or colander, rinse with hot, then cold water. Press out water with back of spoon. Makes about 1- 1/2 cup curds. If desired, moisten rinsed curds with a little buttermilk before serving and add salt to taste. Refrigerate if not used immediately. Whey from fresh milk powder can be used in place of water in breads and soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment