Sunday, March 7, 2010

over wintered veggies-turnip harvest

While out  working up the terraces today to get them ready for planting I decided to go and check  on my little bed of overwintered turnips and my celery plants I had left for seed this year. To my surprise the celery was growing and bright green and we had some lovely little turnips ready for picking.

I picked enough for a couple of meals for the two of us  and thinned them out where they were a bit cluttered and brought them in for dinner tonight as what better accompaniment to  veggie bacon cheeseburgers than turnip fries and a melon smoothie for dessert. The bunnies and chickens will get a treat of turnips trimmings and small greens.

turnip fries
8 medium turnips
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
dash salt
dash pepper
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp flour

Peal and cut turnips into  fry type strips. mix all ingredients in bag , add turnips shake and place coated turnips on lightly greased baking sheet.   Cook on 425 for 15-20 minutes turning once. serve hot

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy and I love roasted turnips. DH likes them better than potatoes. Now I just have to figure out how and when to plant them to have enough for myself.

    Share the melon smoothie recipe as well please!

    ReplyDelete