Saturday, April 23, 2011

around the homestead-cleaning critter crap


Phewwwww...Since I have the manthing home for a long weekend, we have beautiful weather and I am on a couple day break from school work it was an opportune time to clean the chicken coop today. Once that was done and we had a mid day snack we were on such a roll that I decided to get the goat shed done as well. After about 40 wheel barrow loads we got them both done! If I had to do that all by myself it would have taken me three to four days to finish it all. I have to say that I am pretty tired tonight and a wore out but sometimes its good to overwork a little bit just to keep up with things.
Several loads in the goat shed were nearly finished compost. Rather than mix it with the pile that needs to cook a good long while we piled it on a sheet of plastic and will finish it out there so we can then use it in the beds. Because of the way we bed in the chicken coop much of that was able to go directly to beds that will be planted this week.
This gives us a nice beginning to next years compost. Next on the agenda will be harvesting all the worm bins.

3 comments:

  1. It's hard work to do all that, but with each shovel, I think about how much it will help in the garden!
    We had to clean out the coop a lot more this year as an ice dam left me with a little leak that I couldn't fix until spring, so I've got more than the normal amount of cleanings for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HP we had some leak issues over winter as wellEven though it thoroughly sucked while it was occurring I am thankful for the extra cleanings :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. When most people think about having a little farm, they're not really thinking about critter poop. If it rained hard for three days, that was three days of horse and cow poop to clean out of the barn when the sun came out! Nothing like caring for a few 1,500-pound poop machines to bring back reality. Not even going to talk about chicken coops... nope... been there, done that.

    Hello, fellow A-Z Challenger! Here's my latest entry. Come visit either of my blogs when you can and leave some comment love:

    T is for Troubador http://bit.ly/erG2AF

    http://www.mainstreamsolarcooking.com
    http://www.rockinchairreflections.com (A-Z)
    Twitter: @SolarChief

    ReplyDelete