Tuesday, April 19, 2011

orchard update

While out working on some of the garden beds I took a wander through the orchard trees we put in. We have babies! The photo above is one of the plum trees. All three trees have a handful of tiny plums on them. The "contender"peach has so many babies on it I could not begin to count the numbers. The other peaches have a few too. The cherry, pear and apple are all doing well too but have no fruits that I could see. My puny currant bushes have also sprung to life and are getting their leaves so we should even see a few berries from them. The almond, that we had to trim majorly this season, looks much healthier and is putting out new branches. I do not know if it has almonds on it or not this year as they are tiny and much higher up than the other trees. The old peach has thus far made it, although, I do not know how well it will do. The bright side is, if it is too unhealthy we have got several (hundred) baby trees growing from all of the pits that fell to the ground last season. I cannot wait to be harvesting fruit from all the trees and am hoping to be able to get some dwarf citrus this year to add to the collection.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a lot of fruits you're going to have this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a few years we should no longer have to buy any.. fruit is one of the few areas we were very slow to get into other than one season melons n a few others that were already here...I cant wait to be able to pluck me a plum off the tree or eat cherries off one.. havent done that in like 35 years :)

    ReplyDelete