Wednesday, February 22, 2012

seeds of the month

My year of Seeds Of The Month has ended. Yes, I am an adult but everyone loves to have a package delivered and for a gardener, seeds are the ultimate gift. I have really enjoyed the SOTM and not just opening the pack to see what is inside but actually growing the veggies and herbs. All seeds are non-gmo, open pollinated, heirloom varieties that have been tested for a germination rate of 90% and higher. Everything I have received has grown and produced well for me even though I have used many for experimental purposes and treated them harshly. The cost of the seed club is very economical and well worth it, especially if one is able to catch a web special. For those new to gardening or for children, it is an excellent way to pique interest and give a gift that will give forever more. Overall, the seed club is very well worth the money and offers quite a nice variety of seed.

Of course, any program has its faults and here are the few that I found. Some of the seed packs did not contain enough seed for my liking, though it was only with a couple of seed types. The bantam corn, for example, only had 16 kernels in the pack hardly making it worth the effort and pollination became a concern. There was a little repetition in the types of seed sent over the course of the year. I do not mind this as seed saves quite well and can be used at another time but I would have liked to have seen a bit more variety in what was sent.

Overall, I was very happy with the SOTM and would recommend anyone interested in an economical and fun way to collect seed to join the club. Members receive 8 packs of seeds their first month and then 4 packs of non GMO seeds every month thereafter for as little as $0.06 per day. You can join at http://seedsclub.averagepersongardening.com/ or join them on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment