Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I am so cheap-replanting green onions

Yesterday I planted one of our beds out in green onions. Not seeds or sets mind you  but with scraps of root ends that get chopped off in prepping and normally thrown away or put in to compost. I save all of our green onion roots and every month or so plant out a nice little bed of them. It keeps us in fresh green onions all year as well as the greens to dehydrate  consistently and by doing this it  makes us sustainable in that aspect of our life.

Replanting the root ends is not something that one can only do when they grow their own nor are green onions the only veggie that you can do this with, but more on  some of the others in a different post. In fact, store bought varieties do wonderful  regrowing and it is great to know that you have a food on hand that is essentially ever growing or recycled. After just one cycle of regrowth your  onions will have paid for themselves and from there on out it is money saved.  Another neat thing about these greenies is that you don't even have to have a pot with soil to do this with, you can simply  use a bowl of water. Talk about a  super, simple, lesson  on basic  hydroponics and science for the kiddies.
 
Any who, all I do is cut the bottom 3/4 of an inch or so of the green onion when using leaving a tiny portion of the onion itself and the root.  I then  throw them in a cup of water in the fridge  and let them sit until the next  time I plant. If it is going to be a while before the next planting, I change  the  water every couple days until I do. They will stay good this way for a  few weeks if not longer.

When I  am ready to plant I just stick the root end down in the soil and cover with an inch of  soil.  They will regrow  rather quickly and be ready to harvest again in a couple months. Once they are a few inches tall  begin to  trim the greens  and use them in soups, salads or whatever else you enjoy  them in.  I like to dehydrate mine for veggie dips and salad dressings.

To grow the onions in water simply fill a shallow open container with water. Completely cover the onion root with water. Place the container in a sunny location to grow, the plants don't need direct sunlight so any room that is fairly well lit will work, although, the more sun they receive the faster they will grow. Replace water every few days as it evaporates. As the onions grow, stand them upright by leaning them against the side of the container so that the top part of the onion is not submerged in water. Once grow either, eat and repeat or plant in to soil.

27 comments:

  1. Good post! I love to grow green onions in the windowsill garden during the winter. I pot them up and clip off the tops at ground level. The onion then grows again. Just a little fertilizer and sometimes we can't keep up with the little greenies!

    Susan
    http://susan-chicdaisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I have never heard of doing this before! Thanks so much for posting about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to your posts. I save my seeds from the foods I eat, but I never thought about saving the eyes on my potatoes or my green onion roots to replant. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Why waste was is already available :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea you could do that. I will most definitely try this. There are two bunches of onions in my fridge right not that I'll try and regrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Next time I go grocery shopping I'll be sure to get green onions and try this out. Can't wait to see them grow, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a awesome find. I'm totally trying this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is REALLY cool! I will definitely be trying this

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be trying this, what a great idea! It also work with celery, the hunk you cut off the bottom, just replant and it grow from the middle, out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm cheap too! This sounds really easy to do! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this ....You can also do celery the same way

    ReplyDelete
  11. what about carrots, do just the tops grow on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, carrots are a tap root, so only the greens will grow, not the orange part.

      Delete
  12. That's not cheap at all, I resprout my celery bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had heard this can be done, can't wait to try. You can also do potatoes this way. :)

    I am having surgery so my garden plans are not going to happen, BUT if any of you have any suggestions for smaller container gardens for veggies, etc. I would love to hear about them. mortond3@yahoo.com Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very educational, & very easy. I think as people find how easy it is to replant things, we would all save a lot per year at the grocers. Keep the great ideas coming & thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank-you! I just barely found out I could do this with celery, and now with green onions too! I can't wait to try this!!! I also have some red potatoes that have budded out, so I'll plant those as well. My husband didn't believe me that we could grow those, but I know I can!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW,this sound's great! Thank-you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank-you this I have to try

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carrots will grow greens and sprout seeds, but you won't get a good root.

    Some lettuces will regrow once planted again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do it with leeks as well. A shot glass with the bottom of the keel touching water.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do this all the time. Just pulled up a batch from the last batch. They are smaller so I don't think you can get 3 or 4 growths out of this but 1 or 2 is good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you use small containers in the winter to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so excited to try not only the onions, but the other suggestions as well. Thank you everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Que maravilla que slguien como tu nos enseñen hoy a mis 84 años esta....maravilla🥰

    ReplyDelete
  24. I regrow celery and bok choy this way.

    ReplyDelete